The most powerful discipleship method for new believers is prayer. We MUST pray for them so that they will be able to conform to the image of Christ. The Lord’s Church should be filled with individuals who are growing in their relationship with their Lord and Savior and experiencing spiritual growth. If the Church will pray for and train up every new believer in love and service, we will be better equipped to advance God’s kingdom on this earth! Some churches form a prayer circle around new believers upon their confession of faith and make a commitment before the Lord to nurture and train them. Here are several key prayers to pray for the brand new in faith:
- For Spiritual Maturity: Father, I pray that this one who has just recently placed his/her faith in you will grow to spiritual maturity, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. May he speak the truth in love so that he will in all things grow up into Christ. (Ephesians 4:13-15).
- For Humility to allow others to teach and train: Lord, may this new believer open his/her heart to those who are more mature in faith so that his love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that he may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God (Phil. 1:9-11).
- Pray that they, being filled with the Holy Spirit, will discover and utilize the gifts God has given and use them to the best of their ability.
- Pray that they will have a daily, disciplined quiet time in order to know the Word of God and develop a powerful life of prayer.
- Pray that they will be able to resist the enemy and overcome sin when it arises in their lives.
- Pray that they will develop a fruitful ministry for the kingdom in their local church, community and beyond through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray that they will be bold in their witness to unbelievers, having courage to share their testimony.
From The Harvest Prayer Messenger. Used with permission of www.harvestprayer.com.
Category: Living the Faith