- As appearing in the Pneuma Review Spring 2013.
The Spirit and the Prophetic Church
Building Ministry Coalitions for Urban Ministry
Part 1 of 2
Thesis and Introduction
Scholars from disciplines other than the theological guild have observed the value that congregations play in their members’ everyday lives. When churches engage ... Read More
- So which is the best Bible translation? Well, we may never know in this life, though we will all have our preferences. But we are fortunate in having some very good ones. Make sure you regularly read at least one of them and encourage others ... Read More
Darrell L. Bock, Recovering the Real Lost Gospel: Reclaiming the Gospel as Good News (Nashville: B & H Academic, 2010), 146 pages, ISBN 9780805464658.
In a postmodern era engaged in endless speculation and thought provoking possibilities, Dr. Darrell Bock, Senior Research Professor of New Testament Studies ... Read More
- D.A. Carson, Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus (Wheaton: Crossway, 2010), 173 pages, ISBN 9781433511257.
Scandals pop up everywhere. Type into a Google search, “Scandals of 2012,” and one finds about 81 million results. Are scandals really scandalous in this day and age or is ... Read More
Thomas H. McCall, Forsaken: The Trinity and the Cross, and Why It Matters (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012), 170 pages, ISBN 9780830839582. Thomas McCall writes this book primarily for pastors, students, and a general audience, unlike his previous sophisticated academic study on the Trinity. In ... Read More
- Stanley Hauerwas, Working with Words: On Learning to Speak Christian (Eugene, Oregon: Cascade Books, 2011), 322 pages, ISBN 9781608999682.
I recommend this book to all Christians, and especially to those in pastoral and the theological vocations. Like his other publications, the Duke Divinity School professor of ... Read More
Jerry Tousdale, Miraculous Movements: How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2012), 208 pages, ISBN 9781418547288.
Jerry Tousdale is the Director of International Ministries for CityTeam International. He has also served as a church planter in the Muslim ... Read More
Not long ago, I attended Commencement exercises at the University of California’s Hastings College of Law in San Francisco. I was there to see a student named Kofi receive his law degree and to celebrate with his mother, Afi.1
Afi came to the United States from ... Read More
- Andreas J. Kostenberger, Excellence: The Character of God and the Pursuit of Scholarly Virtue (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2011), 270 pages, ISBN 9781581349708.
As suggested by the title, Kostenberger’s interest in “excellence” has to do with Christian scholarship. For Kostenberger, Christian scholarship is the “pursuit of truth ... Read More
- R. T. Kendall, Unashamed to Bear His Name: Embracing the Stigma of Being a Christian (Bloomington, MN: Chosen, 2012), 208 pages, ISBN 9780800795160.
“Ashamed of the Gospel? Who, me?” Today it is easier than ever for individuals to proclaim their religious preference. Targeted mass marketing has ... Read More