- British Pentecostal Keith Warrington takes us on “The Quest for A Pentecostal Theology” in a chapter from his 2008 book, Pentecostal Theology.
Some reviews to look for in the Winter 2013 issue:
Malcolm Brubaker reviews Evangelical and Frontier Mission Perspectives on the Global Progress of the Gospel ... Read More
This chapter is from John P. Lathrop’s book Answer the Prayer of Jesus: A Call for Biblical Unity.
The Prayer of Jesus
In John 17 we find the longest recorded prayer of Jesus; the apostle John, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, included it in ... Read More
- “Cleaning House: Inner healing involves addressing psychological and spiritual issues, A Conversation with Charles Kraft,” Leadership (Spring 2012).
An interview with Missiologist Charles Kraft about deliverance ministry and counseling in this Leadership issue with the theme of “Spiritual Warfare.”
Now Available Online:
From the Spring 2012 issue of ... Read More
- William P. Atkinson, Baptism in the Spirit: Luke-Acts and the Dunn Debate (Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2011), 164 pages, ISBN 9781608999712.
The publication of James Dunn’s Baptism in the Holy Spirit in 1970 touched a nerve among the then fledgling group of Pentecostal scholars, and has continued ... Read More
- Jonathan T. Pennington, Heaven and Earth in the Gospel of Matthew (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2009), 416 pages, ISBN 9780801037283.
This book is a more affordable edition of a book published by E. J. Brill in 2007.
The Gospel of Matthew is the only gospel to use ... Read More
- Edmund J. Rybarczyk, The Spirit Unfettered: Protestant Views of the Holy Spirit (Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press, 2010), 162 pages, ISBN 9781557256546.
Edmund Rybarczyk, Professor of Historic and Systematic Theology at Vanguard University, introduces eleven significant theologians, starting with Luther and sixteenth century Protestant theologians, and ... Read More
- Calvin L. Smith, ed., Pentecostal Power: Expressions, Impact and Faith of Latin American Pentecostalism (Leiden: Brill, 2011), 284 pages, ISBN 9789004192492.
I had the good fortune to be the Ecumenical Studies Interest Group Leader for the Society for Pentecostal Studies (2012) when Calvin Smith’s Pentecostal Power ... Read More
- Amos Yong and Estrelda Alexander, eds., Afro-Pentecostalism: Black Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity in History and Culture (New York: New York University Press, 2011), 261 pages, ISBN 9780814797310.
Black pentecostal and charismatic Christianity has long been one of the most neglected topics of North American religious ... Read More
- Neil Cole, Organic Leadership: Leading Naturally Right Where You Are (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2009), 314 pages, ISBN 9780801072383.
Organic Leadership presents a way for ordinary Christians to emerge as leaders both inside and outside the church. Cole argues that church leaders often get in the ... Read More
- Gary Tyra, The Holy Spirit in Mission: Prophetic Speech and Action in Christian Witness (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2011), 206 pages, ISBN 9780830839490.
Tyra, an experienced Assemblies of God pastor and Christian college teacher, has written a biblically based, academically conversant, and culturally informed appeal ... Read More
Veteran missionary, Dennis Balcombe, talks to PneumaReview.com about the Acts of the Holy Spirit in modern-day China.
Pneuma Review: Please tell our readers how you were called to China.
Dennis Balcombe: I was brought up in a traditional Methodist church that only preached the “Social Gospel.” At ... Read More
This chapter is from Paul L. King’s book Only Believe: Examining the Origins and Development of Classic and Contemporary Word of Faith Theologies.
Classic and Modern Word of Faith Views Compared and Contrasted
The classic faith leaders affirmed the reality of the supernatural, not just in the ... Read More
- For British Pentecostals, the desire for revival and the unending search for its first signs are activities that have formed their prayers and shaped their activities during most of their twentieth century existence. Looking back and reconstructing historical events into potential future paradigms of revival, ... Read More
- Frank D. Macchia, Justified in the Spirit: Creation, Redemption, and the Triune God (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010), 360 pages, ISBN 9780802837493.
Justified in the Spirit is a sophisticated attempt to do what its title suggests: to find an increased role for the Spirit within the Christian ... Read More
Editor’s Note: This is the full review of Jonathan Leeman, The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love. For the Review in Brief, see the full Fall 2012 issue of Pneuma Review.
Jonathan Leeman, The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love: Reintroducing the ... Read More